Sunday, February 6, 2011

ResellerRatings.com removes store reviews at the request of merchants?

I've always thought ResellerRatings was a good place to see fair ratings of stores. I guess I was wrong. The first negative review I put up, regarding Maingear.com, was removed after a few days. Someone from Maingear contacted me on a Saturday night about the review. The guy was upset that I spoiled his near 10.0 rating. He wasn't disputing the what I said in the review, he was just upset that he might lose business over it. The review was from an order a couple of years before. After talking with the Maingear guy, I amended the review to make this very clear.

I noticed that a couple of days after my conversation, the review disappeared. I emailed ResellerRatings twice over the next week, but I never got a response.

I'm guessing Maingear pressured ResellerRatings to remove the review. Well, now I know not to check ResellerRatings anymore, because I know what's there is whitewashed.

Anyone have a good store/merchant review site they like?

2 comments:

  1. Your review was removed because you referenced a 3 year old transaction. Transactions older than a year aren't eligible for a review (http://www.resellerratings.com/terms). The purpose of ResellerRatings is to shed light on a merchant's current day practices, good or bad, not their historical record. 3 years is an eternity and the merchant doesn't deserve either praise or criticism today for something they did or didn't do 3 years ago.

    Merchants don't pressure ResellerRatings into removing reviews, ever. Maintaining our credibility is paramount to our success and growth over the past 15 years, where we now power Google Shopping and Bing AdCenter ad ratings, and we outrank every other platform in Google organic searches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 2 years at the time I posted this, not 3. If older reviews are useless, then why do Amazon and other sites retain them? Your comments about older reviews are not convincing.

      Also, ResellerRatings never replied to my emails. I actually sent more than 2 over the course of several weeks, all ignored.

      No, you are an apologist organization and you have zero credibility with me.

      Delete