Saturday, April 23, 2011

Home, once upon a time


View Larger Map

Some memories:

  • A flood in the middle of our block that turned the street into a swimming pool.
  • A giant, collaborative snowman put up in the yard next door.  From my perspective as a 4 yr old (approximately), it was 10ft high.
  • The barn in the back yard that was off limits.  It was filled with rusting farm equipment and spider webs.  And a dead opossum.  Did I mention the spiders?
  • The open spaces.
  • The family across the street, the Bottom's, who had several Great Danes that were scary as hell.  And the family that was well over 6ft tall, each of them.  Well, that's what it seemed like to me.
  • My brother getting his ear almost bitten off by a dog down the street.
  • The main house on the property on which we lived.  I would sometimes walk the rent check up with her.  The old lady was ancient and the house was huge and dark.
  • I thought the elementary school I went to was only a block away, but I see on the map it was two.  Did they put a new cross street in since I was there?

No comments:

Post a Comment